My effort to turn the winged soup attempt into a recipe is below.
- 8 eggs
- 4 14 oz. cans of chicken broth
- 1 packet of Lipton Savory Herb with Garlic dry soup mix
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- Jalepenos (optional)
- 1 can of corn, drained
- Sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- Tony Chachere’s
- Salt and pepper
- Wonton crunches
- Whisk eggs together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add chicken broth, Lipton soup mix, onion and jalepenos (optional) into a large pot, and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, steadily and slowly pour the egg mixture into the pot while simultaneously whisking it into the soup. Try not to whisk it too quickly, though, or you risk over-shredding the egg.
- Once all egg is blended, reduce heat to low.
- Add in drained corn.
- Season to taste with sesame oil, soy sauce, Tony Chachere’s, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cilantro, avocado and wonton crunches.
Please beware, this recipe is not perfected and will only get better with time. There is a fine line between the delicate flavor of egg drop soup and the bold flavor of tortilla soup that I danced a little too closely to but that I'm hoping to find one day. While my seasonings may have not been the perfect marriage, my eggs were over-whisked, my base was watered down with actual water and the taste was not quite as I anticipated, it actually still tasted good.
Please try, and share your tweaks. I'm dying for the perfect recipe!