The Infamous Czech Stop

Hail to the kolache," says everyone on I-35 who passes exit 353 in West, Texas, home to the infamous Czech Stop and Little Czech Bakery.

 

Pin It

Descending from a Czech family and town, I am no stranger to Czech eats or kolaches, but considering even my MeMaw (who makes a mean kolache herself) gushes over these guys, I figured they are totally worth a feature. I’ve already covered the infamous Buc-cee's pit stop on I-45, why not cover the most talked about pit stop on I-35 as well?

Here's why every known tourist traveling on I-35 between Austin and Dallas has potentially stopped here or will stop here at some point in his/her life.

 

Ooey gooey delicious kolaches. You can get them with some of the traditional fillings like apricot, lemon, poppyseed or cream cheese, or with some unique filling twists like cream cheese and lemon, cream cheese and raspberry, cream cheese and blueberry, etc.

 

Yes, cream cheese is quite the common theme, and I've been completely obsessed with the filling since I was a kid. Apparently I'm not the only one. The bakery goes through 1,200 pounds of cream cheese a week!!! You can catch that fun fact and even more fun facts, as well as learn a few Czech words, right inside the store.

 

I'd be lying if I said the Czech Stop only sold kolaches, though. You can find an assortment of fresh bakery treats and homemade goodies here.

Assorted breads
Savory rolls and kolaches
Deli meats and cheeses
Grab-n-go "lunch" items (blurry picture, sorry)
Brittles, barks and candy
Jams and jellies

And so much more!

During this visit we personally walked away with two fountain Dr. Peppers, a spinach turkey wrap, a pepperoni roll, assorted cream cheese kolaches (warmed, of course) and a loaf of jalepeno beer bread.

 
 
 

You can obviously tell we hadn't been there in a while. In plus, the line was stacked because of Labor Day weekend. I wasn't about to wait through all of that for nothing!

So, if you haven't dropped in for a pit stop at the Czech Stop, it's time to add it to your bucket list. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. We love comments and kudos!

Popular Posts