Nope, we definitely didn't buy this guy from the store. We made it ourselves!
This is the mantel we started with:
- 3 8 ft. 1x12 oak boards
- 1 small can of wood stain (Varathane - dark walnut)
- Wood glue
- Circular saw/table saw/miter saw (your choice)
- Sponge brushes or rags
Making the Mantel
1. Cut the three oak boards in half to create six 4 ft. boards using a table saw, circular saw or miter saw (whichever you prefer).
2. Sand the boards as needed to remove any rough edges.
3. Following the directions on the can of stain, stain each board using sponge brushes or a wipe-on rag technique.
4. After the boards are stained and dried, stack the boards in a staggered pattern, leaving a 2" overhang on each side. Arrange so that the best looking sides show.
Mounting the Mantel
Our method to installing the mantel was somewhat rigged for the simple fact that we used the hardware from our previous mantel for the new mantel. This means that the bolts were already drilled into the brick wall and that all we had to do was remove the keyhole wall mount hardware from the old mantel and add it to the new mantel. In that case, I don't think it's fair to elaborate on directions that may not even be plausible for you. Safety is another reason why I'm wary of guiding you through mounting your mantel. Therefore, I’ve posted some resources that suggest a couple of different approaches for mounting a floating mantel.
- DIY Network – How to Install a Floating Mantel
- Ehow.com – DIY: Install a Wood Mantel to a Brick Fireplace
- Ehow.com – How to Install a Heavy Slab Floating Mantel
There seems to be a million other resources on the internet as well - videos, instructions, you name it.
As for us, now we have a unique mantel that looks ten times better than our last, was relatively inexpensive and is one-of-a-kind. We are quite the fans and think it adds the perfect touch to our fireplace.
- Handy Man, Crafty Woman: Wicked Awesome Wednesday
- The Shabby Creek Cottage: Transformation Thursday
- Miss Mustard Seed: Furniture Feature Friday
- Be Different... Act Normal: Show and Tell Saturday
- Tater Tots and Jello: Weekend Wrap Up
- Skip to my Lou: Made by you Monday
- Making the World Cuter: Monday Link Up
- The Kurtz Corner: Tuesday Tutorials
- Sugar Bee Crafts: Take-A-Look Tuesday
- Remodelaholic Link Party