Pinterest Yummy Recipes Challenge #1: Homemade Mushroom Soup

Phew, 2012 has already been quite a year. Since 2011 was so crazy with Jeff and I both starting the year with new jobs, planning the wedding, moving in and living with mom, getting married, buying and moving into our first house, and then hustling through the holidays, I was definitely looking forward to January 1st. And Now since January 1st I seemed to have taken on life full force: back to the gym 3 times a week, stripping and updating our house, crunch time at work, and endless amounts of recipes. Considering it took me 2-3 weeks to unpack at set up my kitchen, I've been soaking up every minute of being it. In the past two weeks I've taken on a blackberry/apple pie, banana bread, cream cheese kolaches, white wine/spinach/feta/mushroom linguine with Parmesan chicken, and as of last night, peanut crusted buffalo chicken with..... homemade mushroom soup!

Which leads me to my next train of thought - My Pinterest Recipe Challenge.

People love Pinterest for all kinds of reasons, but one of my favorite reasons is the recipes. My savory recipe board is none other than YUMMY RECIPES. After months of watching my board fill up with untouched recipes, a few weeks ago I decided to challenge myself to actually cook them. I printed off my pins (at the time... because of course I have more now) and posted them on my fridge as a reminder. First recipe of attack: Homemade mushroom soup.
I've never actually made mushroom soup before nor do I think I have ever eaten it from a restaurant or can. To think of it, I actually hated mushrooms most of my life, but thank goodness I converted my picky ways or else I would have missed out on this delicious homemade mushroom soup. The actual recipe I used is from Season with Spice blog. Of course I'm not much of a rule follower, so my measurements and steps differed a little. 

Step 1: Saute garlic and mushrooms.

Step 2: Simmer in chicken broth and then thicken.

Step 3: Season with nutmeg and salt.

Fresh nutmeg from Grenada.


Step 4: Simmer in milk and cream!



Step 5: EAT!



I actually added extra thickening agent and then after letting the soup sit for way too long on warm, it caused the milk/cream base to thicken a little more than I would have preferred. If you ever come across that problem, just add some extra milk. On the other hand, if it's too runny, just add some extra flour/water. Runny or thick though, it tasted delicious all the same.

YUMMY RECIPES Challenge #1 = Success!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. We love comments and kudos!

Popular Posts